Grilled tequila lime chicken with mexi ranch is an easy marinade of tequila, lime, and a medley of southern spices coupled up with an even easier mexi ranch dipping sauce!
Tequila and lime. Is there a better combination?
The key to cooking with Tequila is not over do it.
Too much tequila can be over powering and bring back a few fun, yet fun memories of those lovely college evenings.
This grilled tequila lime chicken is a 2 day process. Day 1 is the marinade day. Day 2 is your grilling day.
Day 1 – Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Marinade Prep
First thing you want to do is mix the tequila, olive oil, chipotle powder, onion powder, oregano, and chili powder in a bowl.
This is the marinade you are going to use for the chicken.
Add the chicken to the marinade and endure the marinade is on all of the chicken. Cover and refrigerate.
The chicken will marinade in the tequila marinade for about 24 hours. If you prefer a little less tequila flavor you can shorten your marinade time by half.
Day 2 – Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken Cook Day
Heat up your grill to 450 degrees. This will help put a nice char on the chicken as cooks.
At this point you also want to get a pan ready for a shallow fry for your tortilla strips. You are going to shallow fry the Tortillas to crispy perfection.
If the grill is up to temp, place the chicken on the grill and cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
When checking the temperature be sure that the thermometer tip isn’t touching the bone of the chicken so you don’t get a false reading.
Tent the chicken with some tinfoil to pull all flavor and moisture back into the chicken.
While your chicken rests, mix up your mexi ranch!
You can take the mexi ranch and brush it on top of the chicken and even add some cheese to the top of it or you can leave it on the side and use it to dip your tortillas and chicken.
The best piece of advice for this recipe is don’t drink all the tequila while you grill!
If you make this grilled tequila lime chicken with mexi ranch recipe, tag us at @notaveggieblog on Instagram!
Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken with Mexi Ranch
Tequila Lime Marinade
- 4 Tbsp Gold Tequila
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Chipotle Powder
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
Tequila Lime Chicken
- 6 Bone in Chicken Thighs
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 2 Cups Canola Oil
- 5 10" Tortillas
- 1/2 Cup Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 Cup Medium Salsa
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl together. Make they ingredients are mixed thoroughly.
- Place the chicken in a zip bag.
- Pour the tequila marinade over the chicken.
- Be sure that all the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- Seal the bag and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- After marinading start the grill and heat to 450 degrees.
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Place 2 cups of canola oil in a pan and set to medium/high heat.
- Slice the tortillas into strips and halve the strips.
- When the oil comes to temperature carefully place the tortilla strips in the oil. Cook until crispy.
- Take the ranch and salsa and whiskey together.
- Place the tortillas down on the plate and place the chicken on top of tortillas.
- Add the Mexican ranch to the side of the plate for dipping.